CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

TRiP

I went to Utah...alone...for 3 days!! No pictures of me and all I did however because I forgot my camera. But here is what I needed to realise and why I really needed to go alone.

These sweet boys.

I stayed with my sister in law and her 2 children, spent an entire day with my younger sister and her 3 children and had nothing else on my agenda during the day. I thoroughly enjoyed the company I kept. I read 2 books and ate great food. I visited old and dear friends. I remembered who Diane was before she had 4 boys (with one on the way), a mortgage, laundry and dirty dishes. I focused on those 4 boys in their absence and prayed about each one and their needs. Most importantly I had the time to really listen to the spirit and my instincts and try to see how I can improve on being their mother. Most of you are probably better at finding this quiet time without leaving town. Believe me, it was not why I left town but it is a product of my going.

I need to slow down and not care so much.
Detox, if you will.
I took the time to really enjoy my nieces and nephew, my sisters, their homes. What is most important is how we treat one another. Not the laundry or the crusty dishes in the sink. Not being on time for school, church or basketball. Not how you look in this or that outfit. Not if your bed is made and the toys are picked up. Not having everything ready for book club and definitely not about what other people think of you.

What does matter is how you treat the people around you. Your patience and kindness. Your understanding and compassion. Your relationship with yourself and your Father in Heaven. The thing is...either you are or you aren't. It applies to everything. A believing Christian, a good parent, a loving spouse, a happy person... I'm not saying you need to be smiling and go get 'em at all times. But if you're an are person it will show even when you are down. It is inside of you. It becomes who you are. And really...either you are or you aren't...right?
I want to be able to say I am.

2 comments:

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

LOVE this post, Diane! thanks for sharing :)
and glad you had a good time in utah... [and sorry i texted you bout being late to family dinner when you werent even there!:)]

Wendy and Rick said...

good for you. Glad you had some time to yourself. You are such a go getter! Its good for you to have some down time. I sure miss you. Next trip to Utah we need to get together.