below is quite literally the view from our hotel, for us it was free (vouchers...gotta love 'em) for others $600 a night - OUCH!
Notre Dame
we did ride to the top of the Eiffel tower (and got rained on in the process), we did see the opera house (while were were wandering the city..not lost...wandering), we did NOT go into the Louvre (you can get lost in there, I know from experience) we did eat pastries (chocolate croissants are my faves), omelets (we stay over night by the monastery where they were invented) and crepes...wouldn't YOU?
My favorite highlight...other than the food
We spent one night in Normandy in the first town that the American soldiers liberated. I wish we had more time to spend there. The history alone of standing on Omaha Beach. It is difficult to find the words for such a sacred place. Awe inspiring is not quite right, reverent covers it better, and yet not, Miraculous seems better. Combine all three and that should cover it. To actually see the 5 miles of beach head lying before a hill with cliffs that were spattered with German soldiers. To know that so many boys and men, fathers and children died there. And to marvel that they ever got off that beach at all. I realised that it was a blessing for those of the Promised Land that they were protected. That the main part of the German forces were elsewhere. If they had been there at the beach the Americans would never had made it to dry land.

5 comments:
Wow, sounds like an amazing trip! I'm so glad you two got to sneak away and enjoy yourselves :-)
A WEEK! I'm in awe. We have yet to leave overnight. Sigh.
And hello, France?!?! How EXCITING!
Ah well. If anyone deserves to be spoiled, it's you. :)
Looks like fun. I am more than happy to sit through all your pictures. Ill bring my italy ones to even it out!
Sounds like so much fun Diane. I dream to just go to New York or anywhere really. I'm so glad (jealous) you get to have such great experiences.
Woohoo - you lucky girl! Remember your 1st time in Paris when we were followed around the city by Sean??? And we sat in the skate park across from the Eiffel tower, people watching? Good times...
Post a Comment