CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Definition

Spica cast: A spica cast (also called a hip cast or body cast) immobilizes the hips and thighs so that bones or tendons can heal properly. It is usually put on in surgery while the child is sleeping.
There are several types of spica casts. They begin at the chest and may extend down to cover one leg, both legs, or the leg on one side and down to the hip or knee of the other side. The doctor will decide what type of spica cast your child needs.

Guess which one we needed!
(Tell me that's not gonna stink-literally-in less than a weeks time...I dare ya!)

You don't actually put a diaper on him. The cast is somewhat like I'd image a chastity belt (without the key.) You get a small diaper, size 2 or 3, and sort of tuck it into the cast around his crotch. We got a cool new car seat today to transport him around in. I'm going out to buy a big gardening wagon to fill with pillows to get us through the holidays. He's got to wear it 6 weeks- hopefully it will come off the week before Christmas...sorry all if our scent begins to offend...) The cast is slightly bent at the waist maybe 20 degrees so he will be able to sort-of sit up The bean bags at home will come in very handy the next few weeks. I'm also moving his bed to my room to avoid the stairs. Seeing his brothers today helped a TON but he's staying in the hospital tonight again because of concern for his heart rate. It's been above 135 for 3 days straight. They anticipated it going down when his pain was lessened, but it went UP instead towering around 166. (Ideally it should be low 90's or under.) It also stays uncomfortably high while he is asleep which is abnormal as well.

Looks like he's coming home tomorrow though so...

Wish us Luck!!

This photo was taken at the end of the day today once he was weaned off the heavy meds and had a clearer head. He still spikes with pain every so often but it is FAR more managable. Thanks for the prayers...please keep them coming!

3 comments:

Jana said...

I love that he's smiling in the second picture! What a trooper. You can do this. Have faith. :) I'll fly down if you want...

The Atomic Mom said...

OH! I'm so sorry your little dude is in a cast, poor kiddo! Just read all thru your blog...it's so nice to see your cute family. -- Joyce

emurdock said...

Diane,
I am so sorry that you have had such an awful week. I sure hope that your hubby is home and can be a support sorce for you. Good luck with the healing process. I know you will be able to make you little one comfy and things will work out great. Poor baby. Sending payers your way!
Emily