My mother participated in a kids kollege when I was young. That's where I learned calligraphy, counted cross stitch, sewing... I'd forgotten all about it until my sister started talking about putting one together in her neighborhood. Long story short.
she didn't - I did!
Kid's Kollege
6 moms (one of ours dropped out last minute) kindergarten to 4th grade. (when my kiddo's get older I'll widen the range) 3 morning classes, 9-11am 3 different afternoon classes, 1-3pm. Only moms that teach a class can put their children into a class. You only pay for your child's chosen classes materials. They (the child) chooses 2 classes (one morning and one afternoon) for the entire week. We ended up finding a great deal for T-shirts as well. SO MUCH FUN!!! (In fact, such a rousing success Clyde is asking why we can't do it again sooner than next summer...maybe Christmas?) Now that I've organized it once, next year should be easier...right? The sad truth is that I was turned down by more moms than I can count. I felt like I had to beg people to participate in something wonderful! But in the end the moms I got were the BEST!
Puppetry Amy Varney-teacher
(she took a class picture in their shirts, but I haven't gotten a copy yet, this is from the graduation party.) They learned about plot lines and different types of puppets and puppet shows while making their own puppets all week, all different types. She then video taped their final puppet show to burn to DVD for them. Seth enrolled.
Crafts and Games Diane Gardiner-teacher
2 days of home made cards and 3 days of old fashioned games. We learned group indoor games, group outdoor games, card games and individual games. My class took home a book of instructions for each game and the supplies to play many of them. (bean bags, a jacks set, a marble set, yo yo's, string for cats cradle games etc...) Monte Birk enrolled.

above: witches broom below: Eiffel tower
Cooking Abby Reidhead teacher
They made breads, soups, chicken pot pies, cookies, snacks. One day was dedicated to eggs. 9 different egg recipes in one day! Monte has never eaten so well at lunch time! The kids all got their own recipe books, aprons, pairing knives and cutting boards! Monte Birk enrolled.
Magic Kim Clarke teacher
Holy Moly!! Card tricks, balloon tricks, ball tricks, egg tricks, you name it they learned it! They made their own magic wands and left with a TOP SECRET magicians folder and supplies for their magic. I was so impressed!! The last day of class they were told to dress up as a magician=looking good!! Seth and Clyde enrolled.


Science Breanna Graham teacher
(still waiting for photo) They made their own rock candy, bouncy balls, goo, they fizzed water, built towers with toothpicks and marshmallows then left with a science folder to go home and teach their families all of the fun!!
At the end we had a graduation party where puppetry did a show, cooking made our treats, games taught new games, magic performed a trick, and science showed us their experiments. We swam and had a great time!
2 comments:
I was SO sad The Boy wasn't old enough for this year. Can't wait for next year!
gosh Diane, you are soo awesome to put this all together! it seriously sounds soo fun!
Post a Comment